Waseda Legal Commons, LPC (hereinafter referred to as “WLC”), has established the Basic Policy on the Handling of Personal Information (hereinafter referred to as the “Policy”).
WLC will comply with the Policy as well as all applicable laws and regulations including the Act on the Protection of Personal Information.
1. Collection of Personal Information
WLC will collect personal information by appropriate manner within the scope of the purpose of use specified in the Policy.
2. Purposes of Use of Personal Information
WLC will use personal information obtained from you within the scope of the purposes stated below. In the event the purpose of use of personal information is specifically limited by a written document or a display on the WLC website or on a web page linked from the WLC website, the applicable personal information shall be used only within the scope of the limited purpose of use.
Personal information obtained in connection with the provision of legal services
(1) Execution of legal services and associated services
(2) Confirmation of Conflict of Interest status and management of cases handled by WLC and its attorney
(3) Provision of lectures, seminars, greetings, and other information pertaining to the services provided by WLC and its attorneys
(4) Response to various inquiries and administrative communication
(5) Other appropriate and smooth execution of business by WLC and its attorney
Personal information obtained in connection with the recruitment activities of attorneys and staff
(1) Personnel selection, applications, administrative communication, and other recruitment activities information
(2) Post-hiring personnel management and education
(3) Other purposes incidental to the those mentioned above
3. Provision of Personal Information to Third Parties
WLC will not provide personal information to any third parties without your prior consent.
4. Management of Personal Data
WLC will take all measures that are necessary and appropriate to prevent unauthorized access, loss, damage and any other mistreatment of personal data. WLC may entrust all or some of its business involving the handling of personal information to a third party to the extent necessary for the achievement of the purpose of use. However, in selecting the relevant contractor, WLC shall carefully select companies that promote the protection of personal information. In addition, WLC shall ensure the safety management of personal information by the relevant contractor, and shall appropriately monitor and supervise the relevant contractor, such as by clearly stipulating the necessary matters concerning the prevention of leakage of personal information with the relevant contractor using documents.
5. Joint Use of Personal Information
There may be cases where WLC jointly use personal information such as names, addresses, date of birth, phone numbers and all other items of personal data held by us with a third party. In such cases, the person responsible for the management of personal data is WLC.
Users and purposes of joint use
<Joint acceptance law firms and attorneys>
(1) Execution of the joint undertaking
(2) Confirmation of Conflict of Interest Status and mutual management of other cases that were co-entrusted
(3) Response to various inquiries and administrative communication
(4) Appropriate and smooth execution of other related operations
<Bar Associations and Legal Aid Associations>
(1) Performance of duty defense activities, court-appointed defense activities, and attendant activities
(2) Response to various inquiries and administrative communication
(3) Appropriate and smooth execution of other related operations
6. Disclosure, Correction, Discontinuation or other Treatment of Personal Data
In the event of a claim for disclosure, correction, addition, deletion, stop of use, deletion, suspension of provision to a third party, notice of purpose of use, etc. (hereinafter referred to as the “Disclosure, etc.”), WLC shall respond appropriately after confirming that the person requested is the person in question.
However, WLC may not disclose any personal information that WLC determines cannot disclose in accordance with laws and regulations or legal profession ethics.
If you wish to request for the disclosure of personal information, please contact us at our office as indicated below in 7 “Inquiries”.
We will send prescribed application form. Please fill out the necessary information and attach the identification document specified by WLC before sending your request to the following address by postal mail or by facsimile.
Unless otherwise specified, please note that claims can only be made by postal mail or facsimile transmission. Claims made through any other means (e.g., visits to the Corporation, telephone, or e-mail) will not be accepted.
Chiyoda Kaikan 4F, 1-6-17 Kudanminami, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo102-0074, Japan
Waseda Legal Commons, LPC
Personal Information Handling Consultation Office
<Identification document (one copy of any of the following)>
(i) Case of an individual
Passport, driver’s license, health insurance card, pension handbook, residence card or special permanent resident certificates, and other documents specially approved by WLC
(ii) Case of a corporation
Registration of Establishment Certificate of the corporation
(iii) Case of an agent
In the event of a claim for disclosure by an agent, in addition to the identity confirmation document of the principal requestor, please submit the identity confirmation document of the agent and a document (power of attorney, etc.) to confirm that the agent has the proper authority of representation.
* Please be advised that the identity confirmation documents submitted will be disposed of without delay and will not be returned after the completion of the response by WLC.
<Delivery of Copies of Disclosure Materials>
In the event of delivery of a copy of the Disclosed Data, a fee of 20 yen per sheet of A4 paper and a registered mail postage will be charged.
These expenses must be paid by registered mail for cash.
In the event WLC receives any inquiries, requests, questions, or complaints regarding the handling of personal information, such as requests for the acquisition, use, provision to a third party, or disclosure of personal information, WLC shall respond to such inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner.
For inquiries about the handling of personal information in WLC, please contact the following office:
Waseda Legal Commons, LPC, Personal Information Handling Consultation Office
(Office hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekdays)
Phone: +81-3-6261-2880 (Main) Fax: +81-3-6261-2881
8. Modification of the Policy
In order to ensure the efficient and effective implementation of our personal information protection efforts, we are reviewing and improving our internal systems and regulations for the protection of personal information, and ensuring that all employees are fully informed.
This policy may be revised from time to time due to changes in laws, regulations, and other social conditions.
In such cases, this fact shall be made public on the official WLC website (https://legalcommons.jp/).
(Member of Tokyo Bar Association)
Kenichiro Kawasaki, Representative Partner
Chiyoda Kaikan 4F, 1-6-17 Kudan-Minami, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0074, Japan
Tel: +81-3-6261-2880 (Main)
Office hours: Weekdays/Business days 9:30-20:00
News & Columns